WHEN & WHERE
Capitol Hill (Seattle)DANCE UNDERGROUND - Dance Underground Studio (downstairs), 340 15th Ave East, Seattle, WA, 98112, one block north of Group Health Hospital on Capitol Hill, between East Thomas Street and East Harrison Street.
- Every SUNDAY morning from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm
- Every WEDNESDAY evening from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Vashon IslandOVER PARK PERFORMANCE ROOM, 17130 Vashon Highway SW, Vashon, WA 98070, about 4.5 miles south of the ferry terminal at the north end of the island.
- Every THURSDAY evening from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- $10.00 per person for all events unless otherwise noted (cash or check).
WHAT TO EXPECT
- We start with an optional warm-up and stretching period 15 minutes beforehand (10:15 am on Sundays, 7:15 pm on Wednesdays, 6:45 pm on Thursdays).
- We begin promptly with a short opening circle to breathe together and set our individual intentions for the dance. You are welcome with whatever thoughts or feelings you bring — sadness, joy, grief, gratitude, fear, love … We create a safe and sacred container to express feelings by literally moving the energy in our bodies.
- We dance non-verbally (no conversation) for about one hour and 15 minutes. We dance barefoot (or with socks or non-scuff shoes) on a hardwood floor in a large space with decorative low-level lighting. There are no specific movements or instruction. You’re free to dance by yourself, with another, or join a spontaneous group expression. The music gradually builds to a high energy level and ends with a calming cool-down. Be prepared to sweat.
- We end with a closing circle to talk about our experiences and share announcements about other events or activities. This is a great way to build community among ourselves.
- Ecstatic Dance Seattle is designed to evoke expression of your true self in a safe and accepting environment. Participants report a variety of experiences during the dance including simply a fun workout, a good connection with other people, release of stress and tension, an overall sense of well-being, insights or revelations about personal issues, opening of the heart, transcendental experiences, and a feeling of ecstasy and divine oneness. The experience of each dance (and of each dancer) is different.
FRAGRANCE-FREE ENVIRONMENTEcstatic Dance Seattle strives to accommodate everyone who wants to dance freely in our wonderful space, and this includes people who have chemical sensitivities to perfumes, essential oils, and other fragrances that some people like to wear. So, please help us keep our dance environment fragrance-free – we ask you to not apply any perfumes, colognes, essential oils, or other fragrances before attending dance events. Thanks very much.
WHAT TO BRING
- Loose clothing (Note about dance attire: all dancers are required to wear a shirt or top.)
- $10.00 cash or check
- Water to drink
- A hand towel to dry off can be helpful
- A desire to dance
- A willingness to connect with yourself and others